Monday, February 20, 2012

Two Days, Two Types of Photography

Orlando Wetlands Festival - February 18, 2012
This was the weekend for the annual Orlando Wetlands Festival in Christmas, Florida. The day started off cool and overcast but later became sunny and a bit humid. Not the typical type of weather we have in February. This was my first time to the festival. I decided to go because they had photography tours of the wetlands with experienced and professtional photographers. What better way to get some good tips and techniques for photographing birds. I went with the first group led by professional photographer Robert Amoruso. The birds were a little scarce at that time of day, but he gave us some good information. After the workshop, I walked out into the wetland further. I forgot how far it is to go all the way around the park. But, the payoff was when I got to I believe the furthest point, there were a pair of limpkins that were fairly close to photograph. There are lots of dead trees with bird silhouettes that might make some interesting shot if it wasn't in the middle of the day. I hope to go back out early in the day to catch the sunrising. I think bringing my mountain bike might be the way to get out farther without having to walk so far. I love to walk, but I would have to start out in the dark to get sunrise shots. I am not sure what the alligators are doing around sunrise, hopefully sleeping!

A different view of the same cypress trees.






Saw a Red shouldered hawk but too far away.
 This one was brought by the Audubon Birds of Prey Center.




Lake Mary Cycling Race
For part two of the weekend I shot the Lake Mary crit put on by the Orlando Road Club. This was the first time shooting a regular cycling race with my 70-200mm lens. It is not the fastest as focusing which was a challenge. Also, getting the focus on the intended spot was at times challenging. I tried some more pan shots before calling it a day.







No comments:

Post a Comment