Monday, July 28, 2014

Merritt Island Adventure

Rather than getting up at zero dark thirty to shoot sunrise and birds, I decided to wait until the afternoon to check out Merritt Island Wildlife Preserve. My thinking was that the birds off shore would not be back lit. Unfortunately there weren't many birds. No ospreys diving for fish, very few wading birds and the ones I saw were in the wetland areas and too far away. I did find some stilts and other shore birds. It seemed like the vegetation had grown and the views were more obstructed than before. When I got to the end of Bio Lab Road (after driving for 6 miles) there was a gate across the road. I had to turn around and drive the 6 miles back and hope they didn't block the other end as well.

The last stop was at the Max Brewer Bridge to wait for sunset. The sun actually sets to the side of the bridge making the possible compositions limited. Fortunately the sky opposite the sunset was much more dynamic and colorful. I was wishing there was a spot on the south side of the bridge to shoot but there is a condo complex which is private with no access to their docks. The bridge is quite impressive with just the lights on it. This will be a repeat location to look for more possiblilites.

No comments:

Post a Comment