Sunday, June 18, 2017

A Walk in the Woods - Lake Lotus

Sometimes the places close to home get overlooked and we just think about going another time. That place is Lake Lotus Park. I pass it every time I drive out to Lake Apopka and plan to go there sometime. The park is only open four days a week so you have to plan your time. Weekends involve parking offsite and taking a shuttle to the park. Since I was in the area for a dental appointment, I brought my camera along and visited the park afterwards. There is a boardwalk that borders the lake so that is where I started. Not expected too much wildlife, I was surprised to see two green herons right away. As I continued, I heard some tapping. Up above were two pileated woodpeckers. They were not exactly out in the open but I took some shots anyways. Continuing along the boardwalk that was extremely slippery with all the rain, I could hear some hawks but never got a good look. Returning back I found the woodpeckers again and followed as they moved through the forest. On the last section walking toward the parking area I heard two barred owls. One stayed put as he/she had a mouse for breakfast. The other owl flew to several different perches allowing some photos along the way. All in all it was a great day at the park.




No comments:

Post a Comment