Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Terns at the Beach

This was my first experience photographing nesting terns on the beach. I brought a chair and picked a spot outside of the roped off area. While I was not moving and sitting the terns were not bothered by me but if I stood up, they started flying straight at me. Not wanting to upset them, I just stayed put in my chair. A pair of black skimmers that were nesting were also rather upset if anyone got close and being dive bombed by those larger birds was a little unsettling. The roped off distance was still a little too close for their comfort.

I found it very challenging to shoot both the tiny birds and when they were in flight. They seem to fly very erraticlly as they search for their youngsters to provide a fish treat. It seems that they know which kid is theirs and will not give the fish to another.

I need to work on focusing and maybe not rely on a single focus point. Next trip to the beach I will do some experimenting with the different focus modes.






No comments:

Post a Comment