Monday, October 7, 2013

In Search of Sunflowers, Part Two

To be more exact, they are helianthus angustifolius, also referred to as narrow leaf sunflowers, and swamp sunflowers. I returned to the North Lake Jesup track a little before sunrise and tromped through the wet, tall grass. My feet and pants were soaked in minutes but it was worth it. The sunrise added some nice color with the sunflowers in the foreground. A small lake (pond) also provided some opportunities for reflections.


North Lake Jesup Tract at sunrise
Next stop was the Marl Bed Flats. I finally found it thanks to a great map I found online. The GPS took me previously to the wrong part of the correct road. It's about a half mile hike out to the flats. I met some people who had a remote control aircraft with a GoPro camera attached. They were seeing what it was filming on the I-Phone. So cool! After that I saw two artists painting picutres. At least they didn't have to worry about shooting into the sun.

I tried not to think of what creatures could be lurking in the dense flowers and high grass. Almost every picture had some jet streams in the sky due to the closeness of Sanford International Airport. If the flowers last I may try one more time getting out there either early or late and see what I can do. After that it won't be until next year to shoot the sunflowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment