Thursday, May 8, 2014

Back to my home town, Longmeadow...

I was recently up in Massachusetts, Longmeadow to be exact, visiting with my Dad who is in rehab from a fall back in March. In between visits and my to do list I found a little time to check out a wildlife sanctuary that is only minutes from the house. The place is called Fannie Stebbins Wildlife Sanctuary and runs between Interstate 91 and the Connecticut River. We refer to the place as the "Meadows" and I had never thought of it for photo ops. I didn't bring my "birding" lens but had a 18-270 lens with me. I found some interesting wildlife. I saw the first beaver I have seen in many years. He was moving fast but when he stopped to gnaw on a tree it was hard to get a clear shot with the sticks and twigs between us. The next day I did see a smaller beaver who was out in the open. There was a huge Canada Geese nest out in the water. Goslings will be hatching soon. The most prevalent birds were red winged black birds, robins, yellow rumped warblers and tree swallows. Later on I did see many different types of warblers but am still trying to ID them. I love the look, feel and sounds of springtime. I thought I would only be taking pictures of flowers but I was too early for my favorite Bleeding Hearts. Tulips and daffodils were blooming along with the forsythias, dogwoods and other flowering trees.

Canada Geese

No comments:

Post a Comment